Friday, June 10, 2011

Mi aventura a Peru...(My adventure to Peru)



In another life, I would've been a photographer/writer for National Geographic.

As a little girl, I used to read the magazine religiously, collected its free maps, and developed a keen sense of adventure. I have seen every installment of Indiana Jones, most episodes of House Hunters International, and count my blessings for my wonderful friends from around the world. When I was in college, I studied abroad in Costa Rica and Mexico, acquired a love of Spanish (which I'm sure shocks my high school teachers to this day), and returned to live in the Yucatan Peninsula upon graduation to teach English. Later on, I travelled to Spain, Greece, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, throughout the Caribbean and the United States.

Those of you who spend your school days with me know that I have a collection of maps covering the walls of my room, am more excited to watch the DVDs about Mayas, Aztecs, and Incas from the History Channel than even you are, and are very familiar with my vast array of books on the Wonders of the World. You know that I believe in learning through doing as evidenced in our numerous skits, celebrations, projects, and trips. For students who have taken my 6th grade history class, you also know that Doc in The Power of One is the kind of teacher I aspire to be and I don't believe in can't. (Despite this, we're not going on a field trip to Africa unless you plan it. Lo siento.)
And for those of you who really pay attention to the many quotes to which I subject you, it's no surprise that the driving force behind this trip is the following:

                                "Do something every day that scares you."     
                                                                                           -Eleanor Roosevelt

I believe it and am usually pretty good about doing it, but taking this trip...by myself...probably takes this to the next level even for me, don't you think?  I do.


In preparation for this adventure,  I have come up with the following goals:
1. To visit a new country, continent, and hemisphere.
2. To practice my Spanish.
3. To climb Machu Picchu (a key player in the famous 100 Wonders of the World, #14 on my bucket list, a site visited in Spanish 3's favorite Diario de motocicleta, and the photo on the cover of our video about the Incas).


4. To make the very physical trek, camp in the Andes, and survive the elements (which would surely make Bear Grylls proud if he only knew about it...).
5. To visit Lake Titicaca on the border of Peru and Bolivia.
6. To meet people from all over the world.
7. To have fun.
8. To have a great adventure.

I would normally take a ton of photos and keep a journal as I do on all of my trips, but I've decided to share this via a blog with all my friends, family, and students in the hope that you will all root me on and share in my adventure.  The following blog will be a combination of English and Spanish to be updated before, during (July 3-14), and after my trip.  I do hope that all of you enjoy it and welcome comments!  (And, yes, there will be a quiz…)

Gracias por compartir en mi aventura... Thank you for sharing my adventure.

Srta./Ms. Bosma or...Genevieve  



No comments:

Post a Comment