Saturday, June 18, 2011

¿Cómo debo preparar para el viaje?


So, I would be lying if I didn’t admit to being just a little bit nervous after having written up my last blog entry in which I really took a closer look at the itinerary of my trip and the implications of a 4-day trek without modern facilities.  Yikes!  I’m a highly adaptable girl, but, without getting into too many details, it does look like I’m going to have to do more prep work than previously anticipated.  Luckily, I did choose the route of having somebody else plan my trip and am going to count on her holding my hand through much of the process.  Additionally, I have some friends that might be able to help me.  If any of you guys who have done a lot of camping or hiking with your families or as Boy Scouts have any advice for me that you think would be beneficial, please leave a comment and let me know!
Here are the things that I’ve got so far…
1)   I’m only taking what I can fit in and attached to a large hiker’s backpack.  Considering that it will be all that I have for the entire trip and that I will be carrying it everywhere (up to 7 hours a day on hikes up in the mountains), it had better be as light as possible, but with everything I might need.

2)  I’d better be in the best shape possible.  Having just run a 10-mile race a month and a half ago, I know that I’m probably better off than most, but I do have a close to 15-year-old knee injury that plagues me from time to time.  I’ve already gone to the doctor to get some preventative medicine, but I’m thinking that now I need to change my workouts from running and yoga to taking very long hikes in the mid-day heat with my backpack filled with heavy items.  (Note to self: be prepared for two weeks of hiking fully-loaded with people staring and wondering what that crazy girl is doing...)

3)  Start getting used to drinking as much water as possible.  At the suggestion of one of my students who spends a lot of time in Park City, UT skiing at a higher elevation, I should start drinking lots of water at least a week at head of time to help with the potential altitude sickness.

4)  Start watching the Spanish channels and movies in Spanish.  Even though I love Spanish, from time to time it’s easy to get a little rusty.  The good thing is, that it usually all comes back pretty quickly if you just start upping the input-some music in the car, the TV as background noise, reading the news in Spanish as opposed to the English version…

5)  Start preparing my lists of clothes and other items (especially first aid) to bring with me.  I’ve travelled a lot in my life, but I’ve never been solely dependent upon exclusively what I can fit in a hiker’s pack.  I’m sure I’ll be able to stock up when in Lima, Cuzco, or even Puno if it’s an emergency, but I’d rather not if I don’t have to.
¿Qué debo empacar?  What should I pack?

No comments:

Post a Comment